HOW TO PREP YOUR ITEMS FOR CONSIGNMENT
Prepping your items for consignment can be a tedious job, and we suggest giving yourself as much time as possible, doing a little at a time so you don’t feel overwhelmed. If you wait until last minute, it’s likely many of your items won’t meet the requirements for accepted items, because you won’t have time to appropriately prep them. Following is a list of supplies you will need, as well as instructions on how to prep your items for the sale.
- Wire Hangers (Dry cleaner, Dollar store, Wal-Mart, Target), or notched plastic hangers for tanks or tops that tend to easily slide off the hanger
- Pant/Skirt Hangers with clips
- Safety pins
- Zip ties
- Packing Tape
- Rubber bands
- Hole punch
- 60-67lb white Cardstock Paper (to print tags on)
All shirts, sweaters, blouses, jackets, etc. should be hung on adult size wire hangers, with the hook facing the left (like a question mark ?) If you have items such as tank tops, spaghetti straps, or tops that tend to easily come off the hanger, using a plastic hanger with notches is recommended. Please note, your hangers will NOT be returned to you so please only use hangers you’re ok letting go. It’s important that items are all faced the same direction because it ensures the easiest shopping experience when all garments and price tags are faced the same direction. Shoppers can get through the racks faster and they are more likely to buy an item if they don’t have to go searching for the price tag. All pants, skirts, and shorts need to be hung on the pant/skirt hangers with clips, also with the hook facing the left. Bottoms folded over a hanger will not be accepted. For sets, please rubber band the 2 hangers together and we recommend putting “2 pc set” in the item description when entering your item, so that the cashier knows at checkout that tag should have 2 pieces.
These are used to attach tags to clothing, accessories, handbags (if you are not using a tagging gun).
These are used to keep items together, such as a set of bracelets or a necklace/bracelet set, or a handbag/cosmetic case set. Anything you would like to keep together as a set.
Use this to attach tags to shoes. You can tape the tag to the bottom, or the inside of the shoe. Please DO NOT tape over the barcode. If you don’t want to tape your shoes, you are also able to tie the tags on using a hole punch and ribbon/string (if there’s a place to tie the ribbon around).
Use rubber bands to attach sets together (i.e. a pant/jacket set). Both hangers need to be rubber banded together.
For items such as jewelry, accessories, handbags, and shoes where you can’t safety pin the tag to it, we recommend you hole punch the tag and attach it to the item with ribbon.
WHITE CARDSTOCK PAPER
All tags must be printed on 60-70lb White Cardstock. Plain paper tags are accepted, however, please keep in mind plain paper will tear easily and it’s likely some of your tags will be torn off and go missing. Any items without a tag will NOT be sold at the sale. If your tag comes off, your item can not be sold and it will be placed in a lost and found bin. We highly recommend using the cardstock. Cardstock can be purchased at any office supply store, Walmart, and Target.
- Carefully inspect all clothing. All items need to be freshly laundered, and free of wrinkles, holes, snags, stains, fading, deodorant, pilling, missing buttons, broken zippers, pet hair, and strong odors (such as smoke and perfume).
- Zip all zippers, button all buttons, and snap all snaps. Replace missing buttons!
- Hang all clothing items on hangers with hook facing left (like a question mark ?). This is to ensure that buyers can easily look through the racks and see all the clothing facing them. Attach your printed tags with a tagging gun or a safety pin to the upper right front of the garment as you are facing it. See the Tagging Guide to help assist you in tag placement and proper pinning techniques.
- Please NO NOT use safety pins when hanging bottoms. All bottoms need to be hung by the waist on a pant/skirt clip hanger.
- Carefully inspect all shoes and make sure they are in new or very gently used condition. Make sure the soles and foot beds are clean and not lifting, coming apart, or worn down. If you wouldn’t buy the shoes, don’t sell them!
- Clean any dirt or scuffs from the shoes.
- High end designer shoes sell better with original box/dust bag, so please include these if you have them. However, please DO NOT tag the box. Only place tags on the shoes themselves.
- Do not tie your shoes together.
- Attach tags to bottom of shoe or inside sole with packing tape (do not place tape over the barcode), or you can tie the tag on with a ribbon if there is a place to tie it.
- Carefully inspect all jewelry. We will not accept items that have missing stones, broken clasps, or missing pieces.
- Clean or polish your jewelry to get it looking in the best possible condition. Jewelry will sell better when it’s sparkly, shiny, and clean!
- All high priced jewelry with diamonds and precious stones, must have authenticity, receipt, or appraisal paperwork.
- You will attach all tags to necklaces, bracelets, and rings with ribbon. Hole punch the tag and tie it around each item using ribbon or string. For earrings, you can push the earring through the tag itself, and use packing tape to secure down the back and keep them attached to the card.
- Have proof of authenticity for all high priced items. This could include original tag, receipt, or authentication certificate.
- Include any dust bags if you have them
- Tie or safety pin your tag to each item